Monday, April 15, 2013

Canada, Eh?

So I've talked a lot about possibly moving to the UK.  So I thought I would talk about moving to Canada, which is still on the table.  I hope that I haven't sufficiently bored people, but this is mostly for family anyway.

Pros-
Close to the US- The area we would be moving to is about an hour or two north of Detroit.  This makes it also easier to move because we could simply rent a truck.  The UK move would involve shipping on a boat and realistically takes months. 

Close to Family- Right now to drive to visit my in-laws takes three days and my parents two.  If we move to Canada we could visit my in-laws (and my brother who is in the same state) more often because it only takes one day (11 hours).

Easier- To go to Canada you don't need to be sponsored or anything.  The US and Canada enjoy a mutual treaty where Canadians can come to the US and work and vise versa.  We would still have to file some paper work to get a temporary or permanent residence status, but we wouldn't have to prove that we have a job lined up or that we are the best ones for it.  We also wouldn't immediately be kicked out of the country at the job's termination.

Money- The Canadian dollar and the American one are basically at the same rate now so I won't have to do some many conversion costs.  And their banking system is similar to the US.

Shipping and services- A lot of stuff you look at gives you Canadian and US dollars because a lot of things can be shipped to Canada as well.  If we move the UK, I'd have to get my magazine subscriptions sent to family and have them send them up to us.  And mail in general will have to operate this way too.

Furniture- As I mentioned before we could take it with us.  We could also easily take our car and thus save ourselves money.  Canadian houses are the same size as American ones so our furniture can easily fit.  Plus I believe Canadians have closets.

Neutral-
Social medicine- Canada does have socialized medicine, but it's not as good as NHS.  If we get residency status we are eligible for health care, but...in the province they have restrictions.  We have to be there for 183 days (6 months) and have not gone back to the US for more than 30 days during that time frame.  A lot of Canadians get private health insurance because it is better.  And services are cheaper than the US.  Our province website strongly recommends that we have private insurance until we qualify.

Schooling- It's much like the US where each province dictates school policy.  In our province if we go the Catholic school route it's free because the government pays for it.  But this is not without controversy.  HB would still be learning British-styled English but it's closer to American English grammar.  He would also have to learn French, which learning a foreign language is something Americans are behind on.  But I know enough French that I could work with him on it.

Downsides-
Out in the field- Because the job is geology (but plays into what Hubby does), he will be having to learn field work and will spend time in the field.  We did ask about this with his boss explaining that Hubby being gone months at time in a foreign country would be difficult.  He said in some cases we could go with him and stay in the hotel and that it could be broken up into 1-2 week increments in the summer. This was the major reason why I opposed the Canada job, but I feel more comfortable with him being flexible.

Ghost residency- If we move out of the US, we'd still have to pay taxes as a ghost resident.  That's state and federal.  But there's nothing we can do about that.  That's US policy.

What would be the deciding factor?

Well, we'd have to be officially offered jobs.  We'd also have no offers anywhere in the US that look promising.  And financially and job security wise.  There's no point in going to a foreign land if it's only for year or if the money isn't better.  All I know about the Canadian job is that it's being funded by a mining corporation.  So theoretically the pay is good.  But we have to ask.  If you ask me it would be a decent US job, then Canada, and then the UK.  It's just an easier move to Canada than the UK.  But me and hubby'd have to sit down and hash it all out weighing everything like I've been doing while taking into consideration his career moves.

This of course all hinges on if he even gets an official offers on fancy stationary.

2 comments:

  1. Pro: Tim Hortons :)

    I'm from the border region of Michigan and grew up about 20 minutes from the St. Clare River. It is a really nice part of the world and the lakes are top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope he gets one of them, at least!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!