Monday, May 27, 2013

New City

I'm obsessed.  I've been avidly watching a Korean tv show called City Hunter.  It's based on a Japanese Manga but it reminds of Shakespeare.  There are elements of romance, revenge, the super hero, etc etc. 

So I said that I would announce our new city.....drum roll please.....

London, Ontario

Why?

1) The number one reason is because of money.  The London, England job did not pay enough.  Let me break it down for you.  In the US they recently took a survey asking people what income could a family of four live off of.  The answer was about 50K USD a year.  We live on a number much smaller than that.  To give you an idea...we qualify for the WIC program, which is one type of US assistance.  My husband could also earn more money teaching highschool physics in our area.  We do okay.  There are people who live off far less with much larger families.  We pay for a mortgage and rent although the mortgage is off set by having a renter.

How does this relate?  Well the job in London, England when you factor in the high cost of living would have been 10 percent less.  It would mean that we could no longer get take out or rent a movie or anything because there would be no wiggle room in our budget.  When my husband inquired if the salary would be enough, the gentlemen basically all but told him no.  His words were to say that it would be a struggle.  He then went on to describe the British Brain Drain.  Basically all British scientists are moving to the US because the pay is better. 

The London, Ontario job (if you also factor in the cost of living) is more substantial and within what most people think is sufficient for a family of four.  So naturally it makes sense to move there.

2) It's closer to family. 

3) We would not have to sell our stuff and turn around and by new (used) stuff.  Imagine living on 10 percent less attempting to sell your scruffy furniture and then trying to buy for-more-than-you-sold new stuff.  We would be sleeping on mattresses on the floor.  At least in Canada I can cross the border with a truck.

4) The city is smaller.  London, England with 8 million people just screams scary to me.  Too over whelming.  It's like moving to New York City but with harder to understand accents.

5) I can get a job.  In the UK it's a law that you cannot job search while in the country.  Because of NAFTA, I can get a job in Canada.  I just have to fill out paper work once it's been offered.  It's yet another reason why even if the pay was abysmal in the UK, we'd be in trouble.  We're literally forced to live off one income. 

6) Hubby has some opportunities.  The University has money and is looking to expand the department.  Which means Hubby has the potential to get a professorship if a job should open up.

Of course I'm not looking forward to shoveling snow.  Hubby has already banned me from driving in it because I don't have any experience with snow.  It rarely snows in Mississippi or out in the desert.  I have experience with ice though so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

I've also got to deal with Hubby being gone for a month in the summer.  To off set this, my parents have discussed visiting during the summer.  And there are numerous organic drop-off-at-your door places.  You have to understand that it takes me 2 hours every week to shop at the store.  There is absolutely no way that I can control two children for 2 hours and still concentrate on squeezing every Canadian penny.  I figure I can cut my shopping time down, use the veggie drop off service, and maybe find a person willing to watch the kids.

Also I requested a yard and a place with washer/dryer hook ups.  I am so over apartment living.  So basically we're looking into town houses.

I'm not looking forward to some of the wonky (by American standards) laws.  They have very liberal leaning laws.  Fortunately they don't care if your children aren't fully vaccinated.  They are one of the few countries that have legalized gay-marriage and have taken it a step forward by protections against slander.  Recently a Canadian Bishop was under investigation for sending out a letter and publishing an article discussing gay marriage in relation to the Catholic faith.  And because in Ontario Catholic schools are funded by the government there has been a back lash in sex education (ie normalizing homosexual behavior).  In one public school, a father asked if he could be notified of when sex education was going to be taught so he could remove his child from the classroom.  It was ruled that it was unnecessary.  In other words, they weren't going to tell him.  For now, the Catholic schools are holding ground, but it won't be long.

There are other things that the Canadians do differently.  They don't have the death penalty, which since I'm a pacifist is hunky dorey with me.  And they have a parliamentary system, which is different than the US, but it's stable so whatever.  They also have province/territory rights which is similar to the US.

I'm looking forward to the move, but I'm bracing myself for a bit of culture shock.  Fortunately it won't be so drastic as the London, England one would have been.  Canadians have similar accents and similar word meanings even though they use British English spellings.  They also have to post things in French, which will be interesting.  I'm so used to Spanish these days even though my next best language is in French (four years of it in high school and some college). 

My mother, meanwhile, has been cleaning up my old bed room and asked me if I needed my French dictionary.  And she's sending my old Timberlands.  Not sure if they will fit anymore though.  They were big to begin with. 

Anyways...I've been bugging people at the Eden Food Facebook page and have come to one conclusion.  A lot of atheists have a real big problem with businesses mixing religion.  Funny though that they have no idea that a lot of businesses have religious slants.  Just to name a few:  Forever 21, Hobby Lobby, Chick-fil-a, Interstate Batteries, American Home Shield, Timberland, Eden Foods, In-and-out Burger, HEB, Tyson foods, Mary Kay, Alaska Air, Marriott, Jet Blue, Curves, Dr. Bronner's Soaps, Tom's of Maine, Buddy's Jeans and Ezekiel Breads.  A lot of businesses have religious founders and base their product on their faith.  With only 12 percent of the population being atheist and that atheism is a more recently growing phenomenon, it makes sense that there are larger swaths of religious businesses.  All I have to say to those who want to avoid anything religious is...good luck.  You may want to start your own business along with that soup kitchen I'm hoping atheists will open up.

8 comments:

  1. You won't be too far from me now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making plans to see the falls already. :)

      Delete
  2. I grew up close to the Canadian border and I really like the culture! Now you get to learn hockey and curling:) Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope i dont sound pompous but my husband and i arent sports people. We dont even pay attention to american sports. I dont even know all the rules to basketball or football. Hb likes soccer so i figure we'll have to seem like sports nuts. :)

      Although curling sounds interesting.

      Delete
  3. You'll be closer to us too! We've been meaning to get passports for the babies because we're so close we've got to visit Canada sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be close (relatively) to Madonna House- you might like this (some Byzantine influence with this ministry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their family summer program looks interesting. Not sure how my husband would feel about outhouses and no electricity though.

      Delete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!