Thursday, July 11, 2013

7 Quick Takes- Moving Edition

1) So Hubby has got his passport back along with all the documentation he needs to cross into Canada.  I can't say enough about how much of a relief this is.  I realize that moving is stressful, but it seems more so when you haven't got any control over the matter and it's entirely in the hands of another human being.  Packing boxes is annoying, but at least I'm the one doing it.  Driving across the country will be exhausting, but I (and Hubby) will be handling it.  Waiting on Canada to send back your passport in a timely manner when there's nothing you can do about it was awful.

2) Speaking of packing, I really need to start packing a box a night.  We have about 12 days until M-day.  And I haven't finished getting all the non-essentials put in boxes.  Which means this weekend we will totally be working on that.

3) In the midst of this is my birthday.  When Hubby and I were married, my birthday was 10 days later so naturally people (uh, hum, my parents) forgot about it in the chaos.  This year my birthday will be low key.  I plan on making myself some cute Canadian-themed cupcakes.  My MIL prudently sent me a card early and my mom called to say she would just bring the one she would normally send along.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the money.  I've been contemplating some piercings but haven't run this by Hubby at all.  He's not too keen on that sort of thing (body alteration) so I usually discuss this when the understanding that I'm a grown woman and while I appreciate the in-put it's my body.

In case you're wondering just how old I am, well, you're out of luck.  Frankly, I can't remember how old I will be myself.  Most forms just ask for your birth year and so I have to either ask Hubby or do some mathematical calculations.  Let's just say my cousin's birthday is a little over 2 weeks after mine (we're the same age) and her oldest child is in elementary school.  Let's just say that I met Hubby in grad school and I had already been there a while.  Let's just say some of you young moms out there are younger than me.  Let's just say that my parents didn't own a personal computer until I was in highschool and that my 9th grade teacher gave us the option to write our essays in neat long hand or typed on a type writer because having a personal computer was unusual.  Let's just say I remember ICQ, geocities, and was evangelizing through online chat rooms way before Facebook or Myspace was even dreamed about.  I used to go by the pseudonym of little_woman_1.  (Yes, hi there.  Were you one of my converts?)   Okay? Okay.



4) HB has been really helpful lately.  Tonight he insisted that he helped back up a box of books.  He's also been very keen on reading people's feelings.  "Momma are you sick?"  "No, sweety, just tired."  "Tired?  Okay, you go to bed."  Knee, on the other hand, is crank central.  While he does occasionally give me surprise kisses, most of the time he's upset about something or the other.  This is why I don't want to venture forth from my house or pack anything.  Nor do I have any motivation to clean.  I think that's part of moving though.  You kinda don't see the point in picking up your house when you know it will soon be covered in boxes and you will be picking up as you go along.

5) I'm kinda nervous about moving out of country.  So I've been taking on comfort measures.  It's not that I have a problem with leaving or being adventurous.  It's the leaving stuff behind bit.  I've lived in the desert for 10 years when I moved for grad school  (yes, I'm that old).  And I've gotten used to it.  I've never really lived in a cold climate.  Moving out here never really bothered me too much.  But moving to another country with a slightly different culture?  *cue panic*  So I'm trying to stay with the familiar.  Oh, look a public library.  Oh, look see shortly after we move there's still the Obligatory Feast of the Assumption.  Oh, look same liturgy.  Oh, a lovely public park.  But then every time I see the familiar I'm reminded of the difference like Mounties and hockey and neighbour instead of neighbor.  And that I will be thrust into Canadian television with limited American shows.  Ahhhh!!!!  *breathe*  And then I think I will miss cachti and chimis and traditional Mexican music blasted from speakers.  I will miss the splash pads and my friends.  You see the conflict?  I love adventure but it's the leaving it all behind that's bothering me.  Must view this as a learning experience...must view this as a learning experience.

6) I'm drawing blanks at what I should be writing here.  Oh, wait.  So yeah, so my internet will be sporadic especially during travel and then for a while until we settle in.  If you don't here from me much, don't panic.

7)

O, Canada- The Lyrics and Duel Languages

usually I sing "O Canada, I don't know the words to this song.  Dum Da Dum Da Dum.  Sorry I'm just going along."

Link Up!

6 comments:

  1. It would be much less of a culture shock for me to move to Canada than it will be for you, I can totally see that. I've lived in the Northeast my whole life, near the Canadian border, the Southeast has a totally different feel, so I understand. But I really do think you're going to like it and thrive! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Canada there are only two Holy Days of Obligation--Christmas and 1 January. (Sigh.) So if you want to attend Mass anyway on the Feast of the Assumption, it will probably be at a regularly scheduled weekday Mass time. Few churches will schedule extra Masses because, since it is not "required" most people don't go. . .

    I'll stop grumbling now. Maybe the situation is a little better where you will be than out here on the east coast.

    Best wishes and prayers for your move and for not too much culture shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to sound devisive but...its still a holy day of obligation. The difference is that Canada chooses to move its observance to a Sunday and the US doesnt. The CCCB still has the day marked off as being such. But you are probably right that most parishes have no special masses said that day. Still one can claim it as a day of religious observance and go to work late. Lots of people in the US also observe the entire Trium even though only Easter Sunday is only necessary.

      http://www.catholicliturgy.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/LawText/Index/6/SubIndex/98/LawIndex/28

      So we're both sorta right?

      Delete
    2. Follow up....since london is so close to the us boarder i imagine that some parishes will have a special mass but i havent looked into it.

      Delete
  3. In Canada, Epiphany, the Ascension, and Corpus Christi are moved to a Sunday and celebrated then, but the Assumption of Mary, All Saints, and the Immaculate Conception are not moved. They are celebrated on the proper day, but they are NOT holy days of obligation. Mass attendance on those days will be a little higher than an ordinary day, but nowhere near as high as it is for the Triduum services. Triduum-Easter is still high profile, but these three dates have not been days of obligation for at least 25 years, and most people have thoroughly slipped out of the habit of attending Mass.

    (Having typed that, I checked out the link you posted, and the holy days of obligation for Canada are just as I listed.The Bishops' Conference of each country decides which feasts will be obligatory, and so it varies from country to country. You'll notice that All Saints is not included in the Australian list either.)

    Any parish which celebrates the Extraordinary Form will probably have the extra Masses, but I'm a long way from London, Ont., and I don't know what is available there. But I would not expect proximity to the US border to make a difference.

    I think we've just hit a little culture shock road bump. Even with the Church, matters of discipline (such as holy days of obligation) will not necessarily be the same in all countries of the world.

    Personally, I think the changes the CCCB made were, to put it charitably, overly optimistic about human nature, naive and very ill-advised. But it is what is, we just have to live with it.

    I made my original post because I could picture you, in all the turmoil and chaos of moving and settling your family into a foreign country, missing the small detail that the day is observed differently here until it was too late to adjust your plans. I wanted to give you a "heads up" on this particular cultural difference.

    (I've traveled in the US and England, but I've lived in Canada all my life. I converted to Catholicism in 1968.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its very sweet of you to worry but we'll be okay. We will be there on the 1st so im sure ill get a bulletin. My biggest concern is finding a church. The closest one is french speaking only so i guess i get my choice. The diocesan website gives some links but not all the churches have websites. What is it with the tech age these days? I worked at a church that didnt have much of a site either. Its like they didnt want people to know they existed. So i guess im going with the one closest to the u mainly because they list children's programs on their site. A lot of churches dont have a lot of family programs or programs for preschoolers and thats what we need.

      Delete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!