Friday, August 16, 2013

10 Things of Thankful- Vol. 11

So I know I haven't done 11 of the quick takes, but this is simply to keep up with the number that has been hosted.

1) my husband- Despite it being rough, we've managed to close ranks and put aside the usual petty arguments to get through all the junk that's happened.

2) my new home- It's huge.  I like the idea of the children having more space to move in especially when it gets really cold.  Even if that means I have more space to clean.

3) my bed- You learn to appreciate sleeping in your own bed or your own room after sharing a room with your children for several days.

4) washer/dryer- I have spent the last 6 years using quarters to do my laundry.  I like having my own to use (even if I don't own them).

5) air conditioning- We don't have central air.  We don't have room units either.  But since I'm from Arizona I'm kinda used to the heat or rather the humidity plus heat.  London isn't really hot.  It's mostly windy.  My parish doesn't have air either just fans.  So I appreciate trips to the store for the a/c.

6) knowing the English language- There are more words in the English language than in most languages including French and German.  You can pretty much operate anywhere in the world if you speak English.  As I watch other immigrants deal with all that happens in Canada, I see how difficult it is for them.  Today at the bank, I watched as a family had to use a translator to speak to the bank staff.  Not sure if it was a friend or other family member or what language they spoke, but you could see it's easier to navigate a foreign country if you speak the same language.

7) my children- who were also stressed are now settling down so it will be easier to devise a loose schedule for them.  Thus far nap has been whenever and wherever.

8) no carpet where we eat- For the past 6 years I have had carpet where I eat.  Adults spill things and children are really bad so to have linoleum is super awesome.

9) netflix- We gave it up.  Because of our bandwidth we can't stream movies; not that Canada has as many selections.  So we've been using our own movies and watching broadcast tv (which is helpful about learning the goings ons of our host country).  I appreciate it while it lasted, and maybe one day we'll again set up netflix.  Hubby says in a month we'll reconsider.  For now at least, I'm thinking red box sounds appealing.

10) Food- I've been having to tighten the budget because my husband doesn't get paid for a whole month, things are more expensive here, set-up fees, etc etc.  I'm glad a lot of things came from home.  We've decided to avoid fast food as much as possible.  It's way to pricey.  And I've been using all kinds of techniques to try and feed us.  My kids are huge snackers so popcorn.  Our local store ad matches.  Couponing is something else that I need to get on.  Canadians have coupons but they don't come in almost every paper like the US.  You have to dig hard for them.  And most stores do not double or triple the value of the coupon either.  Anyways...my husband ordered me this week to stop skipping out on eating.  I don't tend to eat well when I'm stressed anyway.  But then it worsens when I haven't enough in my system to function.  Food is important. 


Ten Things of Thankful


A little game:

1) Where is home for you? 
Where my family is.  Which is to say in transition between Arizona and London...that's Ontario not England.

2) What hobby would you love to pick up?
Knitting or crochet.  Attempts to either have been utter failures.

3) Tell us something we may not know about you
In grown toenail is heredity.  I have inherited this trait and after having to endure it painfully twice I've learned to keep my toe nails longish.  My husband thinks I'm weird for this.  He cuts his super short.

4) Why did you start blogging?
I was pregnant and bored.  I've always kept journals/diaries.  I've been big into chatting with people online.  It's a winning combination.

5) Which blog are you in love with that you only found out about recently?
In love with?  I like blogs.  But, geez, I don't know...

6) When you struggle in life what keeps you going?
My husband and God.  God's been there the entire time.  My husband is naturally more recent.  He's my big motivator.  When I feel like crawling into bed and never emerging, he finds ways to get me to crawl back out.

20 comments:

  1. great list and I love the questions afterwards I always like reading what people say about those questions. Does that mean I'm a little voyerist? I hope not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list and, apart from the a/c, have experienced roughly the same feelings for the same things over the years - especially with moving to a place that speaks another language - Welsh instead of French for me (we nearly moved to Canada years ago, so the French might have been easier I think!)
    I loved the game list, and feel akin to you as I was born in London - though it was the English one - I have found God to be a true companion to me over the years, too! :)
    I do hope you settle well in your new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've moved many times, and it is never easy. I imagine moving to another country is twice as hard. Sounds like you and your husband are handling it very well. Except for the eating thing. Do eat.

    Yay for the washer/dryer and carpetless eating area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arizona to Canada?

    sounds like a ...dramatic change in climate and such. (sounds interesting, though, the social culture difference between the very wide open spaces of the former and the (I assume) less wide open spaces.

    liked the Post-List List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Job.

      London is smaller than Phoenix. Plus Canada has a smaller population. So wider spaces here than Arizona. But more land mass in US. Make sense?

      Delete
    2. Population density of canada is 9-10 people per square mile. The US is 96. But then in canada most people live in the southern portion. London is about as south as you can go. Hope that explains it.

      Delete
    3. how is the 'culture' (including the way of the people)... gonna totally generalize, but here in New England people are more....formal than say parts of the South. My impression (from friends living there) that the giant West states with lots of land, people tend to be friendly but independent...like that... I have not known anyone from Canada

      Delete
    4. Well I wouldn't say formal. In the South East (I'm from Mississippi) they are very formal. Lots of yes, ma'm and expectation to dress nicely for special occasions.

      As for the southwest, they do tend to wear shorts a lot, but that has to do more with the temperature. You find in Florida people also tend to wear shorts for comfort.

      Every geographical region has it's own culture and within that there are sub-cultures. My dad's from Boston, but his mother's family were Polish immigrants. He grew up enjoying the Red Sox and polish sausage. My mom's mom grew up in Texas, but she's always been the matriarch. I'm from Mississippi. I grew up with cajun and fried food, but I don't have an accent because my parents weren't born there. My husband is from Missouri, the Germanic part. He loves sauerkraut (yuck).

      Point is people are people. They bring to the table their experiences and cultures. And America is definitely a melting pot. It's been my experience that we don't have the same obvious divisions of culture that our fore-bearers did because we move around a lot.

      A lot of people tell me that they have an aunt or friends or parents who live or lived in Arizona. And these are Canadians. Do Canadians have divisions? Well I live in Ontario so I can't speak for people in the french speaking Quebec. And I live in a boarder city. But as far as I can surmise Canada is like the US (even if they don't want to admit it). They are a melting pot. Not everyone speaks with a Canadian "out n about" accent or says "eh" all the time. Though quite a few do. They have their own cultures but at the same time because Canadians travel a lot they are loosing their distinctiveness too. Here in London there is a healthy immigrant population. The previous tenants spoke Spanish.

      Sorry for the essay.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for such an informative list and for the post-list list! Sounds like quite a transition you've made, but are clearly thankful for so many parts of it.

    While I can understand most of them, the ones that really speak to me are having your own washing machine, and not having carpet under the table where you eat.

    Nicely done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Washer/dryer and dining without carpet are huge thankfuls! I think it is easy to take some things for granted, but sometimes it is the "little" things that make life easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you're all moved and reasonably settled in. Let the exploring begin!

    Popcorn is a fabulous, inexpensive snack for your kids! I eat it for a snack often, and I pop it the old-fashioned way, in a pan with a little oil.

    And how nice that you no longer have to hunt for quarters when you need to do laundry! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do halvsies with popcorn. I use oil and kernels but use the microwave instead of the stove. All you need is a microwave safe bowl and lid. Put in oil and kernels. Place lid loosely on top. Set microwave like you normally do. We have a popcorn button. Done! Saves money because popcorn bags are expensive and time cause you dont need to wait for the stove to heat up.

      Delete
    2. I don't eat microwave popcorn, because I was on a jury for one of many suits against a company that made microwaveable popcorn. I've never tried your method, though. I'll do that!

      Delete
    3. Yikes! A suit?! Wow. I dont eat microwavable either because it usually has transfat. I finally converted my husband to my microwave version of non-microwavable pop corn. He thought the stove was annoying. Our culture of quick and convience rubbing off on him I guess. Thankfully canada isnt like that. They dont have or eat nearly the same over processed foods. Its refreshing.

      Delete
    4. The lawsuits had to do with the chemicals used to make the butter flavoring and the breathing thereof by factory workers (who ignored warnings about wearing a mask when handling the product). Still makes me not want microwave popcorn, after three weeks of sitting in a trial.

      Delete
    5. Yikes! I had a friend whose father developed an autoimmune disorder while working off shore. He won his suit because they didn't provide him (or anyone else) with the proper masks. As a result he was breathing in the chemicals they were dredging up. Needless to say because his auto immune disorder nearly killed him he's not allowed to be around chemicals (lest it gets triggered). He's not supposed to pump his own gas and stuff like that.

      Delete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!