Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Annunciation "Well Huh?" Moment

So I was in a used bookstore looking for Easter books for certain boys' Easter baskets.  I came across an old coloring book titled the Story of Jesus.  I flipped through it and stuck it in the stack.  Later on I actually went through and looked at the pages...

It says "An angel came to Mary in a dream.  He told her she would have a baby."

Now no where in the New Testament does it say that an angel visited Mary in a dream.  Joseph, yes.  Mary was visited but it leaves details out as to how.  So I guess would could say it could have been in a dream, but I doubt it.

What are your thoughts?  Is this heretical thinking or possible speculation?

All I've been able to come up with is the book is old (the copyright is 1997).  It is illustrated by Virgina Lucia Buik who illustrated other Biblical coloring books.  The publishers are listed as Playmore Inc Publishers (Canada) and Waldman Publishing Corporation (US).  There's no indication that the publishers are Protestants publishing some odd heresies about the Annunciation.  In fact it says later on that Peter was the head of the church.  So I'm sort at a loss.

I thought about tearing out the page but on the opposite page it has Mary sitting up in bed saying that can't be because she and Joseph weren't married yet and then the Angel says not to fear because the child is from God.  So I have no idea what to make of that one odd page.

The illustrations are beautiful.  It's a well done coloring book.  Goes right through the Crucifixion, Ascension, and establishment of the early Church.

2 comments:

  1. how...odd. :) I have never once seen this interpretation before, of the angel appearing to Mary in a dream. I would keep it in. Can be a teachable moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I. Not even from any particular Christian group. My guess is that she did the illustrations and someone else did the text. She probably meant it to be an angel visiting Mary at night and waking her up, which seems more plausible. Because as I said the next page she's fully awake in bed talking to the angel. It makes no sense. Was the angel talking to her in the dream or waking her up from a dream then talking?

      My guess is the later and the words are a publishing error. I suppose I could contact the publishers and ask since I can't find any information on the illustrator online. But it's hardly worth it.

      Definitely an interesting, table talk thing.

      Delete