Sunday, April 27, 2014

Answer Me

1. Do you hate happy clappy church music?

No.  The last church I went to was mostly happy clappy but...they also sang in Latin and there were several headcoverers.  It was a vibrant and pius parish.

Compare to my current congregation which sounds like the congregants don't even make an effort.  The poor choir sings hymns out of a hymnal as ancient as myself.  You should have seen the shock on my face over Advent when I heard their odd translation of O'Come O'come Emmanuel.  

Needless to say it's us foreign folk who keep it alive.  Including my parish's priest.

Of course this could also be because this is Canada where people who you speak to on the playground don't even bother saying "good bye" but just up and leave.  Or while walking on the side walk look like at you as though you're glass when you say "good morning."  I know cold climate people tend to behave this way, but it's rude.  Sorry.  It just is. If I say "good morning" I would at least expect a nod of acknowledgement not staring through me as though I'm not there dragging my two kids in a wagon.  

2. What is your priority: eating or sleeping?
Sleeping.  Eating is easy to do.  I just may end up eating cold food or getting up a bijillion times, but I still eat.  Sleeping requires small children to go to bed and they don't always do so when I'm tired (or at a reasonable hour like last night at 10pm!).  

3. What type of milk do you drink in your house?
Cows.  2percent.  It's the cheapest and most fattening I can get for the boys.  Milk is super expensive.  My 4L (which is roughly a gallon) was on sale this week.  It was 3.97CAD.  Yeah.  You read that correctly...on sale.  It's over 4 dollars when not.  And just so you know the Canadian dollar is a little less than the American.  Recently it fell to 95 cents.  So shave a smidge and you get the idea of the USD value.  *sniffle* I miss my gallons of milk for less than 2 USD. 

Oh, and it doesn't come in a jug.  It looks like this...Only mines a different brand. 
You need this...
To drink.


4. What is a book that changed your perspective on something?
Well any book worth it's salt changes my perspective.  Otherwise why write the darn thing and waste my time.  Even some books that I consider awful still have some redeeming perspective.  The Ender Series, while super popular, is totally a Mormon allegory.  I don't think I'd read it again if I had known.  The most impacting book(s) has been the Bible and also the Catechism.  

5. Who is your favorite saint?
Um...one?  I really don't have a fav.  It's like asking me about a fav student, when I taught.  Or a fav composer.  Ack!  I simply can't.  You know how I chose my confirmation saint?  I used the one I was baptized with.  Figure if my parents were happy so was I. She was an early martyr boiled in oil.   

6. Introvert or extrovert?
This one is tricky.  Because introverts mean people who are deep thinkers unto themselves.  But some people think this means that you are not sociable.  I'm not very social nor am I big on bouncing off every idea.  So introvert on both counts.  My husband is an extrovert in thinking but he's not too big on social things.  He's definitely more social than me, but he's a homebody.  We've never thrown parties or those sorts of extrovert style things. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, bag of. Ilk. That would be so hard to get used to.

    I'm so sorry your transition has been hard. It's a big transition for us between Chicago, where we find everyone to be really friendly and smile and wave and southern CA where most people don't even know their immediate neighbors.

    I hope it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bagged milk! I married a Canadian and live there now, and bagged milk is a major adjustment. I do not think it will ever feel normal to me.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!