Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Being Pro-life

Birthers.  I've heard this epithet slung at me.  I'm sure many pro-lifers have.  It most recently was slung in my direction along with the notion that pro-lifers are really forced-birthers.  We are only interested in forcing women to give child birth and then care nothing for what happens afterwards.  This is also often coupled with the notion that a person if is fiscally conservative than shouldn't call themselves pro-lifers.  Why work against programs that help such women?  Why indeed.

First of all I pointed out that many pro-lifers follow through with deeds.  In addition to protests, pro-lifers donate their time and money to helping others.  We just don't brag about it.  We don't wave banners or wish to draw attention to the number of man-hours we put into the cause.  It's not like we simply stick on a pro-life bumper sticker and do nothing.  I relayed to this person that I had in fact threw a baby shower for a friend in college (university if you're British).  Delta State is a small university about the size of a large highschool.  And this friend found herself unwed and pregnant.  She was being shunned, but faced the dirty looks and sought to do the right things.  I saw her eating right, stop smoking, and exercising.  It was no longer was about her.  It was about the unborn baby.  I was incensed.  Don't these people see her efforts?  Must they continually chastise her for something in the past?  So my friend and I hatched a plan to throw her a surprise shower.  We knew she had next to nothing in way of baby stuff.  We also wanted her to know that we cared.  She was so elated that she broke down in tears.  Tears!  And I don't say this to brag.  I just happened to know something about this situation and was able and willing to do the right thing.  Most people I run into today are older and less likely to be in crisis pregnancies.  Sometimes we seek out to do good and sometimes it's right there.  I've also donated to food banks, the St. Vincent de Paul society, and more recently the local crisis pregnancy center.  My charity doesn't stop at birth, and neither does anyone else's I know.

I don't necessarily work against programs that help women.  I think however that the government should not have fingers in charities.  We should not be expecting the government to provide to people in need.  The reason is that the government has its own agenda and can infect society with it- for good or ill.  Giving that much power to government is not a good thing.  This leads to totalitarianism and communism. Yet I've been flabbergasted to read:
 "Close all the Catholic hospitals, long-term care facilities, mental care facilities, schools, Universities, soup kitchens, health clinics and let the government server (sic) these areas. We are all more than willing to pay the extra taxes of serving millions of people in these out of the way areas. Just because they are Not-for-profit, and religious, doesn't mean they can decide not to provide services the rest of us want and need. Shame on them for serving others with their so-called Christian beliefs."
 In context, this person was angry that a Catholic hospital refused to perform a tubal ligation.  I guess they don't understand that one doesn't usually need a tubal ligation and regardless of whether a person wants a Ford Bronco, libraries don't sell them.  Likewise Catholic hospitals don't perform tubal ligations.  Yet because a Catholic hospital refuses the service, we should turn all charitable services over to the government.  Poor and need free maternity care?  Forget the Catholic-run health care.  The government can handle it right?  I pointed out that in Canada the quality of health care is terrible.  Long long waiting lines.  In fact in London one lady told me it was very normal for her to wait 2 hours for an appointment because with only one clinic in town, crisis issues have higher priority.  She was shocked one day to only wait 45 minutes.  There's also only one hospital with a maternity ward/neonatal unit.  It's the same hospital that performs abortions.  Chances are you don't get comfortable or build a rapport with the clinician that's going to help deliver your baby.  I never had that problem in the US.  I knew the ob who delivered HB and the mid-wife who delivered Knee.

So no, I don't think it's good to shut down private non-profits who do good.  And I will continue to support them and the work that they do for those post-delivery.  But let's be honest.  The problem isn't with the "lack of care" provided.  In my area there are more crisis pregnancy centers than abortion mills.  There are a number of hospitals who don't have maternity wards/ maternity surgical units, but I don't hear people screaming to yank their funding.  No, the problem is the ideological differences.  Pro-lifers must conform and comply.  We should sit down and shut up according to our detractors.  So they lie about what we do and get angry if we don't do it how they would.

As I told the person in question, I don't see pro-choicers setting up crisis pregnancy centers and handing out baby items.  That's pro-lifers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!