Monday, November 30, 2015

Advent Calendar: Feast of St. Andrew

Hi.  If you're like me, you are always looking for things to make Advent Advent and not look like Christmas.  So this year I thought I would include some great information on what to do as families each day during Advent.  It's got a variety of different skill levels and time sinks in each post so that you don't feel overwhelmed.

Yesterday was the 1st Sunday of Advent.  So I imagine you were getting out your Advent Wreaths and Advent Calendars.

Here are some possible things to do:

Blessing for the Advent Wreath

Different Types of Advent Calendars- The Santa's beard one is too cute.

I'm also a fan of simply making a paper chain version.  My oldest brought one home last year from Catholic school.  It didn't last long because my children destroy things pretty easily, but for older children it's a cute idea.

There's also Jesse Tree Ornaments.  This one is one of my favorites.  You can print it on purple (or pink paper) and have the kids color.  Punch a hole in the top.  Thread with ribbon and hang on your Jesse Tree (or if you don't have one use your Christmas tree stripped down and if it's too big, take the top off and use just that part either in a piece of craft foam or a bucket with stones in the bottom)

Some people like to take the empty manager of their creche and have their children place "hay" (either bits of yarn or strips of felt) into the manger to make a soft bed for baby Jesus.  The idea is that every time they do something good they add a piece.  There's a commercial version if you prefer.  Here's another

But let's catch up to today:  The Feast of St. Andrew

Saint Andrew's Scottish Shortbread
300 degree oven
Cream 1 c. butter with 2/3cup sugar. At low speed, add 2 1/2 cup flour until just blended. Chill 30 min. Pat into two 7 in circles, place on baking sheet and mark generous wedges (X shaped cross is his symbol). Bake for 30 minutes and cool for 10. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Some also like to serve up fish for dinner since St. Andrew was a fisherman.

Also it's the start of the St. Andrew Christmas Novena.  

For some basic Advent activity ideas this is a good resource.  Knee and I created an Advent Wreath from her program.  I also like her Search for Jesus activity and think it would be easy to simplify for Knee.  

Yes I have also partially decorated my house purple.  Didn't I mention I go overboard with Advent?

Oh, and this year my blog patron is St. Basil.  I will write about that more and update the blog later.  Right now Knee is aggravated with me and there's laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!