Friday, December 4, 2015

More "Stranger Danger" Rhetoric

HB emptied his back pack and apparently buried inside was a note from the principal.  This undated note mentioned that a young girl was approached by two men in their 20s.  So?  There was no information as to what they wanted.  Were they lost?  On drugs?  Trying to take money?  All the note says is that she got home and was able to contact the police.  The rest of the note goes through discussion points with children.  My remarks are in bold.

Who are strangers?  People you don't know.  Like firefighters, police officers, apartment staff (this girl was approached outside her apartment building).  In other words people who can protect you as well as those who mean you harm.

Who do we know that is not a stranger? Very odd question as practically everyone that we come into contact in life was a stranger including the staff at the school.

Can we trust all strangers that seem friendly? Again very odd question.  Firefighters are friendly.  And likewise sometimes people we know like family seem friendly but in reality are predatory.  Oprah Winfrey was raped by a cousin.  So trust is a tricky word when it comes to anyone.  I believe in teaching children to trust their gut.  If something seems wrong or off best to walk away whether it is a stranger or someone you know and supposedly "trust."  This is why I walked away from that lady back in the summer.  My gut told me something was up and to walk away.  Turns out I was correct.  She clearly had something demonic going on.  

What are some "NEVER" rules which we should remember about strangers? (never talk, go near, get into a vehicle, and accept candy etc) Why is this limited to just strangers?  I teach my children that they can talk to strangers especially if they run into a situation where they need help.  But I also teach my children that they shouldn't get into cars with people without my permission.  I don't care if it's my best friend.  If I don't know about it, I don't want my child getting into someone else's car.  There's no reason that I shouldn't know about that.  Statistically speaking kidnappers are non-custodial parents and child abusers are someone the child knows and not a biologically related parent (teachers have the highest number of perpetrators).    

What should we do if a stranger does bother us? (go to a safe place, tell parent, tell teacher/crossing guard, etc.) This shouldn't be limited to just strangers.  If someone does something inappropriate or makes you feel uncomfortable you should go to a safe place like home or your classroom.  And you should tell someone about what happened.  This is just common sense.

What should we try to remember in order to report a stranger who bother us?.....
Well I don't get this one.  The examples used are descriptions.  I've been told by police not to drill children who've been through trauma which more often the child knows.  Plus what are the police going to do about a stranger who bothers a person.  Write them a ticket for asking for directions?  Oh for crying out loud!

There's no such thing as "stranger danger" but abuse is real.  We need to teach our children to not get into anyone's car without permission and to trust their gut.  If something seems wrong, they need to get away from that situation regardless of whether they know the person or not.  If that means they need to seek out a "stranger" to call the police, then I say please do so.

1 comment:

  1. this is so true- one rule of thumb about possible 'stranger danger'- a man calls you over to his car asking directions. Why would he ask a small kid or even pre-teen?

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!