Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Day One

"I will not over think this.  I will not over think this.  I can totally do this."

So this morning my husband asks me if I plan on hopping in the shower.  We usually have to coordinate morning efforts with one another.  I tell him no that I will take a shower after I get back from the gym.  "Oh, that's right.  You're planning on going to the gym today."  

I gather the minions and put on my gym clothes.  I debate with myself about if I want to take a shower at the gym or in the comforts of my own home etc.  Hubby tells me that I look hot in my gym clothes because well gym clothes are both form fitting and suck you in.  Thus spandex gym clothes cover a multitude of sins...er um...fat rolls.  

"See, you can totally do this.  You do not look as fat as you think you do.  Besides it's a gym.  There will be people bigger than you there too."

You see folks.  Even though I'm going to the gym at a time normal people work, my gym is located next to a community college.  So not only is there a plethora of retirees who are trying to keep their bone density high by lifting weights, there is also a large helping of students and stay-at-homes.  *gulp*  and my vanity and pride are trying to fight with me over this whole gym thing.  Yes, I know it doesn't make any sense.  If I was truly that vain, I would want to work out so I could show off.  But instead I'm like pudgy jello and don't want to show other people just how unhealthy I've become so pride takes over too.  It's a war inside my head.  And dammit!  I'm going to win because it's a sin to not take care of yourself.

I dropped off HB at school and drove over to the gym only to realize that in deciding to shower at home I had forgotten to bring a water bottle.  *already failing*

There's no class that I'm interested in joining today so instead I drop off Knee and walking into the "cardio room."  Because apparently when they mean gym they mean the kind that has a basketball hoops in it.  

And proudly (not in the sinful sense) I worked out for an hour.  I warmed up with the cycling machine, moved over to elliptical to get in some cardio, did a little bit of rowing, and a little bit of weight machines for legs and arms.  Believe it or not, I may be a "beginner" but I remember how it works from all those health class requirements for college.  

Then I snuck into the women's dressing room.  I spotted an interesting machine that squeezes water out of your swim suit and made a note of it.  Then *dun dun duuunnn* as my 4 year old says, I saw that they have scales.  

I forced myself onto a scale to get an accurate starting weight.  I weigh a whopping 146 pounds.  This is the most I've weighed for not being pregnant (which we cannot count).  Now some of you may say "Oh, that's not so bad."  Well I'm 5 foot 4 so it's bad. According to the BMI, which I realize isn't necessarily an accurate assessment, I am officially overweight.  I have gained at least three pounds since this summer.  So it's time to reverse this trend.

Let the shedding commence!     


1 comment:

  1. I was smiling throughout your entire post. :) You're off to a great start, girl, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!