Tuesday, May 3, 2016

What's in Your Inbox

Yes, it's been almost a month since I've blogged anything.  It's the end of the school year.  Life has turned into overdrive.  I've been working extra hard so I've decided to dust off this once partially finished post from the beginning of Easter and finally publish it.

Cheers!


I'm signed up (I guess permanently) to receive Lenten Devotions from Bishop Robert Barron.  He only issues devotions during Advent and Lent.  At the end of Lent, he mentioned that people yearned for more.  He suggested reading the Bible.  I think this is great...to encourage people to read the Bible.  That said, having a Bible reading and commentary by a great theologian pop up into your inbox every morning is awesome.  So I felt...disappointed that he acknowledged that people yearn for more and yet he pointed them to the Bible and to his online ministry rather than offer devotions be sent out year round.

Is there anything year round?  Turns out yes.

I also subscribe to a few things, but I really need to cut back as I haven't the time to really let them all sink in:

Take Five for Faith- These are daily little morsels of thought along with the Bible readings of the day.  Great for busy people who can't really spend a whole lotta time reading.

Flocknote- With Flocknote you can sign up to have bits of the Catechism sent to your inbox so that you read it in one year.  You can also sign up for the same thing for the Gospels along with commentary. For whatever reason, I only can get the Catechism in my inbox.

Morning Offering- This one I've tried to receive in my inbox, but it doesn't go through.  It has worked in the past so maybe I've blocked it???  Anyway it packs a big punch: Daily Liturgy of the Hours and stuff from saints, Bible readings of the Mass, The works.  So if you can't get it in your inbox, they have it online.

One Bread One Body- This also lists the readings with short commentary (although slightly longer than Take Five) along with a short prayer.

Pray More Novenas- This one is sporadic.  Usually they announce a novena to correspond with a Feast Day.  Then they e-mail you the prayer for that day.

Blessed Is She- This one is becoming a fast favorite.  They actually type out the Daily Mass readings (as opposed to linking to them) and include short commentary.  All the commentary is women-related.  Some of the women writers are bloggers that I know.  So if you're into that sort of thing, definitely sign-up for this devotion.

So what's in your inbox?  What sorts of prayers/readings/devotions do you receive?  Let me know in the comments.  I'm always on the look out for something interesting to hit my inbox.

1 comment:

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!