Monday, November 28, 2016

Gift Giving the Minimal Way



It's the most materialistic time of the year!  And to complicate matters I have two children whose birthdays are like book ends around Christmas.  So what is a person to do?  Well I could be a grinch, but I won't.  Here are some ideas for anyone in order to reduce stuff.

1) Give the gift of experience-
I sound repetitive as I'm sure I had a list like this at one point on the blog, but it's a good one. Take a person somewhere.  Go to the movies or get tickets. Give a museum membership. Give gift cards to a favorite restaurant. I believe last year the kids were given movie theater gift cards.  They were definitely used.  And look, no stuff in my house as a result.

2) Give consumables-
Also one that I think I've mentioned.  Last year I baked a ton of cookies for HB's teachers.  They are so busy that they rarely have time to bake.  This year I'm also busy so I have no idea what I'm going to do.  Maybe I'll bring in some already made snacky goodies.  But you don't have to stop with chocolates or cookies.  Candles, lotions, body washes, foot scrubs, cologne, etc are all great consumable gift ideas.  One year someone gave me a soup, pre-mixed in a jar.  All I needed was water.  The soup was great.  Last year someone gave me a homemade body scrub.  Smelled great.

3) Give them something that they'll need-
This year it's shoes (if anyone wants to know).  I don't need any shoes myself, but Hubby needs a new pair of sneakers/trainers and so does HB.  And Knee would feel hurt again if he has to wear his brother's old shoes again.  If you're unsure of a person's size, a gift card to a local store works too.  Point is if it's obvious that there is something a person needs and will use that's the perfect gift.

4) And if all else fails-
And if we end up with toys this year, it's not the end of the world.  It's easy to part with old toys and gadgets and not hurt anyone's feelings.  My children do like variety and they are getting older.

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!