Thursday, January 12, 2017

Crafts and Books for 2017

Yep, I'm a little late to the list party, but it's never too late.  In case you don't know what I'm talking about, every year people give lists of various sorts for their new year.  For some it's resolutions and others it's what books they plan on reading.  For me it's a combination of crafts and books that I plan on reading this year.  I've never put one on the blog (that I can remember), but I usually have a running mental list.  So here it is in digital format...

Crafts:
1) Embroidery Monogram-

Pintrest is my friend.  And I've learned that I've been hanging pictures all wrong.  Okay maybe not "wrong" but very old school.  I've come for a long set of people who look at a blank wall and think "I need to cover that wall with something" and immediately begin putting pictures up on every.single.wall.  Usually it's one picture on every. single. wall.  Totally blank walls? Uh....But pintrest is full of what are called "wall galleries."  That is rather than putting a picture on every.single.wall, you create sort of a hanging collage on one wall.  Thus guests (or yourself) are not visually overwhelmed and constantly turning your head around a room.  You have one (or two) focal points. Your pieces are carefully curated, and you only show and display what you love instead of putting up random things on ever.single.wall.  It's actually artistic to have blank walls in your house.

What does this have to do with a monogram?  Well part of creating a wall gallery is that you come up with something cohesive.  Maybe all your stuff are black and white photos, images of mountains, or as in the case of one my friends a hefty collection of crosses.  I have two walls so far.  One is all wedding/honey moon themed.  The other is family.  I hung up the family one and thought that it needed something besides seemingly random photos on a wall.  Nobody would understand the theme just by looking at it so my craft self thinks I need a monogram of our last name.

Now I could just paint one or pick up a random letter from the craft store, but my house has a minimalistic (minus the typical industrial look) meets crafty chic look. There's a decorative term for someone who's into handmade decor, but it escapes me and my computer searches are proving fruitless.  Anywho that's why I think putting in an embroidered monogram makes sense.

2) A do-it-yourself blanket ladder
I could spend a small fortune purchasing one online, but it's not really that hard to make one.  Basically this is because I cannot part with some handmade baby quilts that various relatives made for when the boys were babies.  And in true minimalistic fashion I cannot bare the thought of keeping something in the back of a closet or storage forever. My children are also not old enough to appreciate the pieces to display in their own homes or use so why not turn it into a display piece for now?

Originally I considered hanging them on the walls, but then there are many blankets and we would be back to hanging something on every.single.wall.  But then this hit me and I thought that this would work better.

3) More embroidery pieces
My kitchen is going to have a coffee/ tea theme to it and most likely I will end up putting up some embroidered pieces along those lines, but I haven't truly set up the kitchen so this one is still up in the air.

Books:
I'm a little willy nilly about books. Interesting subjects are bound to come up and I'll find myself checking out books from the library to immerse myself in information or someone will suggest a book online and I'll find myself wanting to read along.  So here is the list of books I'd like to read for myself this year most definately.

1) Dostoyevsky's The Idiot-
This one my husband read in highschool and loved so much that he saved the book.  He wanted to donate it, but I saved it because I've never read it.  In fact I've never read anything by Dostoyevsky.  I know; I know.  I attribute this to my poor public school education that emphasized reading British and American literature and practically nothing else.  This year I plan to make amends.

2) Re-read the Lord of the Rings by Tolkien-
It's been a while.  I need to do are re-read.  Nuff said.

3) Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska-
It was on my mental read list last year, but I never got around to it.  I think it will be great for Lent this year as part of my rededication to the Divine Mercy of Jesus.

4) Divine Mercy for Moms-
This one I think I'll read after the Diary probably for Easter reading.

So dear reader, what are your plans for this year? Any new projects?  Any good books I should be looking into?  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!